Trains are probably the best way to appreciate the diverse beauty and landscape of Canada. With service being of world class standard and top quality dining and lodging experiences, these luxurious train rides can easily be described as cruise ships on rails.
Here we have listed some of the most scenic train trips that Canada has to offer and is a rejuvenating mix of relaxation, socialization and breathtaking beauty.
The Alberta Prairie Railway
- Operated By – Alberta Prairie Railway
- Location – Stettler, Alberta
- Summary – This is a round trip to the western prairie village called Big Valley, approximately 20 miles approximately 20 miles distant. It boasts live entertainment, which includes an enactment of a train robbery and a home cooked, country style buffet meal.
- Highlights – Live theatre, fine dining options and steam engine hauled runs.
- Select Features – These include a rail museum, and an onboard cafe and snack bar
Port Alberni Steam Train
- Operated By – Alberni Pacific Railway
- Location – Port Alberni, British Columbia
- Summary – The rail route passes through stunning glacial topped peaks and stands of tall fir trees. This heritage route takes visitors to the McClean Mill – a national historic site with a preserved 19th century lumber camp and sawmill.
- Highlights – Tours of the historic site, wine tour and overnight packages available.
- Select Features – Cafe services and a gift shop at the mill site, holiday excursions or during special events, special train charters and wheelchair access.
- Operated By – The Nelson Electric Tramway Society
- Location – Nelson, British Columbia
- Summary- This more than century old tramway runs along Queen City’s Kootenay Lake waterfront. It originates from the Prestige Lakeside Resort and runs till the Lakeside Rotary Park. It operates seasonally.
- Select Features – Streetcar charters
Kamloops Heritage Railway
- Operated By – Kamloops Heritage Railway Society\
- Location – Kamloops, British Columbia
- Summary – An 11 km steam-locomotive drawn round trip is one among the favorites of both young and adults alike.
- Highlights – Open air cars, and guide services
- Select Features – Train and caboose charters available, wheelchair access and holiday and special event excursions available.
Prairie Dog Central Railway
- Operated By – The Vintage Locomotive Society Inc.
- Location – Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Summary – Following a historic prairie line, the vintage steam and heritage diesel locomotives, the journey transports visitors on a wide variety of theme based runs.
- Highlights – Engineer experiences and caboose seating
- Select Features – Snack services available onboard. Holiday and special event excursions available.
Agawa Canyon Tour Train
- Operated By – Algoma Central Railway
- Location – Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
- Summary – A 100+ mile journey across the Canadian Shield from dense woods to rushing waters, rock formations and a variety of native fauna.
- Highlights – A two hour layover where guests can choose between exploring a trail or enjoying a picnic.
- Select Features – Coach or dome seating available with a choice of fine dining service.
- Location – Sherbrooke, Queubec
- Summary – Lakes and mountains form the background for this train journey through Quebec’s eastern towns. Guests can choose between fine dining lunch and dinner and brunch on Sundays.
- Highlights – Stop at Merry Point on Lake Memphremagog. Train and hotel packages available.
- Select Features – Train charters and online booking available.